Professor Ryron Gracie is the grandson of Grandmaster Helio Gracie and one of the leading resources for self defense focused Jiu-Jitsu. He talks about the pros and cons of competing, how his family nurtured Jiu-Jitsu among the younger generation and more! Click “read more” for show notes!
- Growing up in the Gracie family
- The value he places on his competitive accomplishments
- The dynamic of great teachers and great competitors
- Does competition push some people away from Jiu-Jitsu?
- Training martial artists vs training fighters
- How his family cultivated a passion for Jiu-Jitsu within the younger generation
- How to properly encourage your child in Jiu-Jitsu
- Considering the feelings of your students
- Competing while his grandfather was watching
- The special expectations Grandmaster Helio had of him
- The 5 words Grandmaster Helio said to him that had great impact on his Jiu-Jitsu
- Finding your definition of what Jiu-Jitsu is
- Why he rolls like an 80 year old twice a week
- Working with Law Enforcement
- How much Jiu-Jitsu do you need to defend yourself against an untrained attacker?
- Is a lack of adequate hand to hand training causing more police shootings?